Wednesday, September 8, 2010

Yeats and Swans

I enjoyed The Wild Swans at Coole because of the imagery and because I found it easy to relate to. Yeats describes the surroundings beautifully, which makes the poem relaxing and calming. Phrases such as “trees are in their autumn beauty”, “woodland paths are dry”, “under the October twilight the water mirrors a still sky”, and “scatter wheeling in great broken rings upon their clamorous wings” make it easy for the reader to visualize each and every line of the poem. As I was reading, I felt as if I was actually at the autumn scene by the lake. Yeats does a nice job describing the swans as well. I could picture their beauty, youthfulness, and mysteriousness. Although the poem has a tranquil vibe, it is sad as well. The speaker is experiencing heart ache because they realize many things in their life have changed since the October day nineteen years ago when they first saw the swans. The speaker has changed and the world has too. Although I feel blessed to have such a wonderful life, I sometimes feel sad thinking about how things in my life have changed. I miss the things I used to do when I was younger, the loved ones I have lost, and the friends I have grown apart from. Change can be hard to accept, even when both the past and present are good. The speaker also mentions how as they grow older, the swans “hearts have not grown old”. The speaker is fascinated by how each and every move made by the swans is graceful and youthful. Growing old is painful for the speaker, just as it is for many people. Although the speaker may envy the swans and their unchanging nature, I think the swans represent happiness and hope. They show how life continues on. Even after the speaker in the poem dies, there will still be more swans bringing happiness to others. Yeats’ other poem about a swan, Leda and the Swan, contrasts The Wild Swans at Coole. Whereas the swans  in the first poem discussed are admired and loved, the second poem involves a violent swan that rapes a young girl. It is weird reading the two poems back to back because the swans in the first poem are graceful and gentle. They bring happiness to others. The swan in the second poem however brings pain.  I noticed how the diction Yeats chose when writing about Leda differs from the diction he used to describe the swan. When describing the swan he uses harsh words such as: dark, blow, great, glory, strange, broken, and brute. Leda is portrayed as helpless with words such as: staggering, caught, terrified, and broken. The contrasts helped me grasp the differences between the two characters and better picture the struggle. The poem is strange, but the mythology behind it is interesting.  I enjoyed reading it and comparing it to the very different first poem.

1 comment:

  1. When I read the first poem, I felt the exact same way. It even made me excited that October will soon be around the corner. The cooler air and the beautiful colors will be a refreshing change.
    I can also relate to you and how your life has changed. College has been a significant change in my life. I rarely talk or see my friends from high school, but, in contrast, I have made so many friends and have had so many opportunities that I would never have received if I stayed in my past.
    Your blog was interesting read and I enjoyed it.

    ReplyDelete