Monday, November 22, 2010

Frozen yogurt, music, and good conversations

Sueli and I still meet weekly for a piano lesson, but I have been trying to think of other things to do as well.  Today after the lesson we went to Yo and got frozen yogurt with one of my roommates.  Sueli knows very few people here at TCU, so I try to introduce her to as many people as I can.  I am surprised at how quickly she is learning piano.  We are now on my level 1b book, which took me a year to get to when I first started playing.  Today I taught her songs that involve playing notes with the right and left hand at the same time.  It might have been a little too hard because she was getting frustrated.   I am also surprised with her dedication and patience.  I teach her piano for an hour each week, which is a long time.  I remember my 30 minute lessons used to seem long to me.  I'm really glad she is enjoying our lessons, but I constantly ask her if she wants to shorten the lesson time or take a break.  I am afraid I am going to bore her, but she is enjoying the lessons!!
We had some really good conversations today.  She showed me pictures of her friends and family.  We talked about her school work and her career plans.  She wants to study Biology, but she can't decide what she wants to be.  My roommate is confused about what to major in as well, so they talked a bunch.  Sueli is nervous about the test she will take in December that determines whether or not she is accepted into TCU as a student.

Communicating with Sueli is getting easier, but we still get confused with each other sometimes.  I still make the mistake of saying "play a B" and she plays “a” because I said play a “B”. Today she talked about her uncle, but kept saying she whenever she talked.  I guess she meant aunt.  Overall though, her English is very good.  I sometimes forget she has only been speaking English for 6 months.

There were two awkward moments today that made me feel bad.  Sueli told me she had never eaten frozen yogurt or been to a frozen yogurt place before.  When we got to Yo I told her all about how you get however much you want and then pile on the toppings.  In the middle of my directions she interrupted and said she already knew.  She sounded a little upset.  It was a weird.  I also was under the impression that she hardly ever leaves her room.  On our way back I showed her the restaurants on university and talked about how they are really popular amongst TCU students.  She looked at me strangely and said she eats at them all the time.  These situations reminded of movies I have seen where people talk really loud or down to people from other countries because they think they are not as smart.  There is also the scene where a character assumes that because someone isn’t from the U.S., they must live in poverty.   I feel bad because I don't want Sueli to think I treat her differently because she is from another country.

The semester is coming to an end which means the service learning project is almost over.  I am really enjoying the project and I plan on meeting with Sueli next semester. 

No comments:

Post a Comment